Friday, July 16, 2010

Asparagus and mushroom quinoa

I've mentioned my love for roasting vegetables before, honestly i'ts the most low maintenance way to prepare veggies and this week I stumbled upon another great combination. When I cook, I don't ever really think "wow, this is amazing" because I try to hold onto that little humble thread, but this week after concocting a roasted asparagus and mushroom quinoa, I declared "omg, I'm good". Yup, this tasted good and the fact that most of my cooking time was spent catching up on emails and blogs made the meal even better. To plate, I scooped a little mound of the grain into a deep bowl, arranged the mushrooms and asparagus, then shaved a few long curls of hard Parmesan over the top...then ate within 5 minutes.





Roasted asparagus and mushroom quinoa
1 carton baby bella mushrooms
1 pack (or 15 spears) asparagus
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
Break the ends off of each asparagus spear and place in 9x9 roasting dish.
Place mushrooms in separate 9x9 roasting dish.
Sprinkle each with salt, pepper, and olive oil to coat.
Cook 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.

In the meantime, cook quinoa according to package, set aside to cool slightly.
Remove vegetables and cut each asparagus spear in half.
Scoop quinoa into bowl, top with mushrooms and a handful of asparagus spears.
Using a vegetable peeler, shave a few curls of hard Parmesan.

*With the leftover quinoa, I tossed in diced chicken and a few tablespoons of red curry sauce (Trader Joe's) and had a tasty cold lunch the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just discover your blog and i really enjoy it! I like the way you mix cooking and clothes. It is really nice. Have a nice day.
    Alizée

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a day this summer when I had on hand asparagus and baby bellas due to a supermarket special. Tried this, and it's excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.