Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Papardelle with baby squash and mushrooms



Most days I peak into my lunch bag only to find the same thing I ate 500 days in a row...salad with turkey and some form of veggie, maybe an additional tomato to spice things up a bit, and a yogurt. It's pretty plain and most likely consumed well before a normal lunching hour. However, there are those days when I open the bag to reveal a tasty leftover set aside from the night before and yesterday's papardelle was the perfect reason to savor lunch a little longer. Just saying that pasta's name instantly makes me want to linger on the "L's" a tad longer, I think it makes the recipe sound more official and authentic. Nonetheless, this recipe for papardelle with mushrooms, sage, and baby squash was concocted in my head during a salad break epiphany and tasted amazing for dinner as well as crammed into my Tupperware the next day. A little chopping was the majority of the effort, while the rest of the assembly really fell into place.




Papardelle with baby squash, sage, and mushrooms

1 package papardelle noodles
9 baby zucchini (squash)
4-5 fresh sage leaves
1 glove garlic
1 shallot
1 pack (2 cups) mushroom of choice
1/2 tblsp butter
1 tblsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
salt & pepper

- Bring large pot of water to boil. In the meantime slice zucchini on a sharp bias to form slivers, chop garlic, onion, and roughly shop the sage. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan with high sides, melt 1/2 tblsp butter with 1 tblsp olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add squash, sage, and mushrooms and cook until squash is lightly brown and shrooms are slightly soft. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook pasta according to package, then strain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Add noodles to saute pan of veggies along with the pasta water. Stir to combine and toss with half of the grated parmesan.
- Plate and top with remaining parmesan.

16 comments:

  1. Yummm that looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe - I gotta try it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good--i had a grilled bok choy salad the other night and it had those little mushrooms throughout. they are GOOD!!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! If you like zucchini you should try Gweneth Paltrow's zucchini spaghetti - it's basically spaghetti with lightly breaded and fried zucchini and parmesan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've a feeling I would really like this. :) It looks so simple to make but so visually appealing too.

    Love

    Tashrin
    Twitter - @ishrattrishna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Papardelle is my favorite pasta! This recipe looks absolutely delicious - we've made it with zucchini before, but never with mushrooms! We'll have to try it.

    Thanks for visiting us! We're so happy we found your blog - it's lovely! We're now happily following :)

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. I'm now inspired for my turn to cook dinner this evening, so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy,it looks delicious!!!I will try soon,thanks for sharing!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! that looks so good and very healthy and light!
    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Fashion Bag 411

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soooo good... and healthy too! I'm defintelly trying it :)

    xxx,

    Fashion Fractions

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmm that looks so yummy, makes me crave pasta!

    <3 Alison
    alisonscampusfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. such rustic simple quality ingredients! that's my favorite. looks delicious.. wish you could transport that over through my computer screen haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great, Jac! What a perfect summery pasta....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.