Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sweet corn salad

I admire people who can walk up to a produce stand, poke around at the ripe zucchini and tomatoes, then confidently buy baskets full of fresh from the farm food. I on the other hand usually rely on the little plastic containers that Trader Joe's offers me. I put all of my faith in the fact that Joe picked only the best fruits and veggies, then packed them just for me, no poking and prodding needed. This belief has definitely backfired on occasion and I've thrown a few too many molded goods into the trash, that's why while grocery shopping over the weekend I marched up to the husked corn and began ripping away and the fibrous leaves myself, no pre-selected package in site. The result was sweet fresh corn that hadn't traveled a great distance to feed me. For a refreshing picnic side, I mixed together the slightly cooked kernels, edamame beans, cherry tomatoes, and a handful of basil to make a crispy and fresh summer salad whose only journey in a plastic container was too and from the park.





Sweet corn, edamame, and tomato salad: Serves 8-10
(halve the recipe when you're not cooking for a large group)

7 corn cobs with husks removed
2 cups shelled edamame beans
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 large handful sliced basil
1 tbls olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place corn cobs in large pot of water and heat on medium. As soon as the water begins to boil, remove from heat and transfer corn to a bowl to cool. This makes crunchy corn every time.

2. Hold each cob upright and run a sharp knife down each side to remove the kernels. Transfer to a large serving bowl.

3. Add edamame, sliced tomatoes, chopped basil, olive oil, salt and pepper

4. Toss well and refrigerate until ready to serve.

9 comments:

  1. Ooo num! I'm going to have to try this asap! It's look so simple and so yummy. Great recipe!
    -Bobbi

    Missbobee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMS!!! Gonna make this, yup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Such a nice summer salad and creative way to re-use corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! I think I feel like making this salad right now! =)

    CLASSY & FABULOUS

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fresh & summery - love these types of salads!


    Www.California-alisun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! Can't go wrong with a fresh summer salad. Looks delish. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. oo so healthy! i need to eat like this!

    http://hautemuze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious. And relatively easy! Perfect for a summer cookout or picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would eat this everyday if I could! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.