Monday, August 15, 2011

Tuscan lemonade


While I realize this is my second drink recipe in one week, I was extremely excited to share this one since its crisp refreshing taste holds a bit of sentiment. Right after Paul and I were engaged, we threw a little informal engagement party full of friends, food, and lots of sparkling, summertime drinks. I made Tuscan Lemonade from scratch and even after picking my mom's lemon tree down to it's twiggy branches and squeezing two pitchers of fresh lemonade, I knew the hard work was going to be better than any pre-mixed variety. The fresh juice is blended with limoncello, citrus vodka, and thyme simple syrup to make a rather dangerously drinkable cocktail. A few weeks ago I made this to bring along to a friend's bbq and while I didn't ravage any lemon trees in the process, the summer flavors instantly reminded me of our pre-wedding celebration.



Tuscan Lemonade: Makes 1 pitcher
Juice of 20 lemons
16 oz. citrus vodka
6 oz. Limoncello
8 oz. water
Thyme simple syrup to taste (recipe below)

- To make the simple syrup: Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add 1 handful of fresh thyme, and cover with lid. The longer this sits, the stronger the thyme flavor will be (overnight is best)

- Combine lemon juice, vodka, limoncello, and water in pitcher and let refrigerate (overnight or a few hours).

- Add simple syrup until desired sweetness and thyme flavor is reached. Serve over ice.

11 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful in the glass bottle with the label! Wouldn't mind some of this right now even though it is a bit early in the day! :P
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing ,I will definitely try the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious... can't wait to try making it! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least the lemons didn't die in vain. This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO making this the next time I have people over... or when I don't have people over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely going to be making this on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these babies could do some damage!!!! especially in the daytime in the summer--keep them away ;) hahahaa and thank you so much for your awesome comment. you rule! much love

    xx
    ashley <3

    pursenboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon so much, so I guess I would love this drink!! Must try it at home!! Thanks for sharing!!
    XOXO

    http://somestylestories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I love this! Thank you so much! Gonna make this Asap, x S.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.