Monday, October 10, 2011

Lacquered jewelry bowls


I love collecting little keepsakes on my vanity, a silver tray for necklaces and perfumes, red leather boxes and a few candles to keep everything scented nicely, but I am always in the mood to switch things up a bit as well. The look of bowls holding an assortment of jeweled, sparkly things is one of my favorite home decor touches. The slightly mismatched feel has a wonderfully eclectic quality and instead of buying a pre-made ceramic holder, I decided to craft a few myself. Using a few metallic and vibrant paints, tape, and a finishing gloss, I created the perfect jewelry holders with a touch of playful shimmer and a good dose of color.

1. Pick thin ceramic bowls, not too deep, and in a small to medium size. Wash and dry to remove any dust.

2.Select a few colors that look good together (I went with a sunny glitter, metallic gold paint, and turquoise to match)

3. Tape off the section that you want to paint with painter's tape. This is where it's fun to get creative, paint the entire bowl, a small circle, or a little strip to make a dip effect.

4. Using long strokes to get a brushed look, paint 3 coats (4 for the glitter), drying with a hairdryer in between each layer. Wipe the lip of the bowl with a paper towel between each coat.

5. Top with a clear gloss coat (only a thing layer so it doesn't drip) and let dry over night. Remove tape once fully dry.

6. Arrange and enjoy your lacquered glittery bowls.

35 comments:

  1. Wow. What a fabulous idea! These are gorgeous Jaclyn! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and such a neat way to store jewelery!!

    Shabby Apple Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow gorgeous work! You did a fantastic job and your photography is incredible too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic idea, Jac! What a great way to show off your beautiful jewelry....

    www.California-alisun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous and so chic! Such a lovely way to show off a stunning jewelry collection. I love this!!
    xoxo
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. I want to make a couple to hold my watches. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really cool, I love what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love DIY, may have to try this! Such a great idea!

    xo Ashleigh

    www.thedaileigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg this is so nice . definitely gonna try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are amazing... you did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a nice idea! And I happen to own that exact gold paint so will be trying this when i find the time :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The end result is very pretty.

    Patience
    www.justpatience.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! They would make sweet gifts too. :)

    xoxo
    apinchoflovely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried dipping wooden bowls in paint last week, but hadn't thought about painting the inside. You're brilliant...I love these, and they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this blog i hope you have time to check out mine!

    http://paquetevsitasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. THese bowls are soooooooo cute...!! You should sell them on etsy!


    <3, J

    http://missjess211.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are stunning! I love! Bookmarking this now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are simply gorgeous and easy to follow. Thanks for the tutorial! xoxo
    http://hellofridaybypaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like these bowls! Very cute and creative))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally doing this! Thanks for the idea!

    www.luellajune.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great! I definitely want to try this DIY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for your lovely comments! What a great blog! you are so creative and so stylish! following :) www.casualglamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a great blog! This tutorial is great!

    Totally hooked! I'm following! <3

    cupcakepeonie.blogspot.com

    -P

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a brilliant DIY! absolutely love it ;) I like your header btw!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such an awesome DIY!! I would have to try it soon.. what a stunning way to display jewels :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun idea! I'll have to try making a few of these myself. They area great gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing idea! I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can i steal the idea for my blog? with "stay in the lines" credits, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. love these. So glad I found your blog. Just pinned them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. love these. So glad I found your blog. Just pinned them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loving this! I might just have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.