Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Cleaning Week: Makeup overhaul


I have a bad habit of collecting makeup, then holding on to it solely because the packaging is pretty or I have a great plan of mixing up the pigment into something wearable. Needless to say, this never happens and my makeup drawer quickly turns into a glittery and shiny mixture of powdered hues. When I sat down to plan out this Spring Cleaning Week I knew a makeup overhaul was one of the must-do things. After getting over the shock (and embarrassment) of the prospect of sharing my disaster drawer with all of you, I became really excited as the prospect of an organized collection of makeup came into view. Once the oldies were tossed and the drawer was cleaned, I felt like I had uncovered items that never received the love they deserved. Much like the closet from yesterday, my makeup drawer is now a fun place to go when I'm getting ready, full of colors and cosmetics that I will never risk buying duplicates of.


Remove everything from the drawer and wipe it clean. Discard any old makeup and line it up so you can get a good picture of everything you have. Go through and clean everything you are keeping. Most likely everything will have a slight powder around it from being covered for so long. This is the time to wipe it all off and make it feel new again.


Using a few simple organizers (I chose two bamboo ones) put all of the makeup back in the drawer. Lining up like items, making sure everything can be seen or is easily reachable. Remember, anything covered will most likely be forgotten.



Cleaning out the makeup drawer will mean nothing if you don't clean the brushes that go with it. I can always tell that I start to break out a little too often when I haven't washed my brushes in a while. Use a mild shampoo or anti-bacterial soap and hand wash bristles under warm water. Re-shape the tops and lay to dry overnight on a towel. The next morning you will definitely notice a difference.

I hope everyone is enjoying this week of cleaning! I would love to hear how your organization is going. I'll be back tomorrow with a little inspiration spruce up tips. Much more fun than the nitty gritty cleaning things. As always, follow my inspirations on Pinterest and Currently Obsessed for the latest things I'm loving.

14 comments:

  1. I am definitely in need of a good make-up clean out. I hadn't thought about my brushes causing my recent break outs but now that you mention it...that totally makes sense. Thanks for the tips lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect reminder that I need to do this! Everything looks so much better when it's organized! xo
    www.frankieheartsfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I SOOO need to organize my makeup drawer! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to clean my brushes...! Great organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. This reminds me that I need to clean my makeup brushes. Haven't done that in a while. I like how you organized your makeup too.

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Thank you for the project inspiration - I am going to buy drawer organizers this weekend. One question: where do you keep your brushes?? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually keep my brushes in a little glass jar on the sink. That way they're all standing up and it adds something a little pretty to the bathroom.

      Delete
  7. I spent some time a few weekends ago giving my makeup bag a total overhaul–a little gross, but most certainly needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my makeup bags are the next thing I need to organize too! And thanks for the reminder to clean my brushes-haven't done that in awhile and I have been breaking out a bit lately. You made me realize that may be the culprit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol can you please come do the same for my room :-p. Everything looks so much better, KUDOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've got tons of fun make-up! What type of Chanel foundation do you use? I've been wanting to try their Perfection Lumiere, but am on the fence. I've never used any of their foundations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed to get rid of a lot of it :) I use Chanel Perfection Lumiere and I love it! It's a bit of a splurge, but it lasts forever and is the first foundation I've used and stuck with. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jaclyn, I was hoping that was the one you used! I'm thinking I'll take the plunge soon and try it! Don't get rid of too much of the make-up, it looks like you've got a lot of good stuff!

      Delete
  11. Clean brushes feel SO much better - you just reminded me that it's time to give mine a little wash.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.