Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cinnamon toast cookies


When I was younger, one of my favorite snacks was cinnamon toast. Nothing really beats warm toast, but the addition of spicy cinnamon with a touch of sweetness elevated something plain to an incredibly satisfying treat. I recently picked up a great cookbook called Baking Style which introduces each recipe with a story as to how it relates to family, why it is important, and the events that seem to surround each delicious baked good. After making a simple sugar dough from one of the cookbook's recipes I figured the best way to spark a little nostalgia would be to turn the plain, yet satisfying cookie into my favorite childhood treat. While I did prefer the pre-mixed version of cinnamon sugar back then, I made the cookie a little more gourmet by mixing the two ingredients together on my own (if that even constitutes being gourmet). After freezing the dough over night, I simply sliced the log into thin circles, sprinkled them with the sugar mixture and baked according to the recipe. The aroma in the kitchen smelled exactly like the cinnamon toast I remembered and my little twist on the cookbook's recipe made the finished cookie feel even more homey.


9 comments:

  1. I have spent the whole morning working, I am hungry and tired and this post just made the whole situation even worse! Oh god I would really love to eat cinnamon toast cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a cookie right now before going into this insanely early meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it´s simple but significant the way you express yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like an even better version of snickerdoodles, and delicious at that. Will definitely have to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and I love that little plate. I might to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious! thanks for sharing!

    Please support my up and coming blog about life and fashion in Los Angeles by following it on Bloglovin ;) I will follow back ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh these look amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.