Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Classic french toast

I am a big fan of breakfast and try to enjoy it every morning. While the weekdays usually only allow for a cup of oatmeal or scrambled egg, if I'm lucky, the weekends give me the freedom to spend a bit more time in the kitchen. However, one of the dishes that I never seem to make is french toast. Pancakes, frittatas, and breakfast sandwiches are my go-to, but since I rarely have a loaf of good classic white bread on the counter, french toast doesn't really stand a chance. Recently I splurged and bought a good solid loaf of farmhouse white bread from Zingerman's and decided to put it to good use. A dip of the thick cut slices in a vanilla spiked egg wash, grilled, the topped with a sprinkle of sugar and a thick maple syrup completely justified my impulse purchase and effectively put french toast into my weekend breakfast rotation. Make sure to use a tasty maple syrup too, like this one from Noble.

...plus, a tasty breakfast treat for the family seems like the perfect way to celebrate the holiday this week.

3 comments:

  1. It's bedtime here and I'm off to dream of vanilla scented french toast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how my mom makes French toast -- and I love it! Glad you got to enjoy a delicious breakfast! I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.