Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Perfect pie crust


I keep many episodes of Barefoot Contessa saved on my DVR and I am known to watch several in a row no matter if I have seen Ina's recipes a hundred times before. They act like a personal audio cookbook where I can watch a meal take place in front of me without guessing what it will look like. However, one thing I have never mastered (or tried for that matter) is chicken stock because it's just so easy to open a can and I'm sure the people I serve it to wouldn't refuse to eat it due to the less than homemade qualities. While my freezer remains stock free I have listened to the Contessa's wisdom and prepared these perfect disks of dough ready for any pie, tart, or crostata I want to whip up on a whim. I used her recipe for my first raspberry tart and the resulting dough was so easy and delicious that I gave in and decided to stock up a few crusts in my freezer. The combination of butter and vegetable shortening creates the flaky bite and a dash of sugar leaves the crust slightly sweet, but still acceptable for more savory desserts. Now when I get the urge to bake I can thaw a pre-portioned piece of dough and I'm ready to go.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.