Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Faux curry tofu bowl

When it comes to dinner, I try to cook every night. It's not something I feel I am required to do, but it is something that I enjoy doing. No matter how tired I am or how desperately I want to make a reservation during the week, when I sit down to a plate of home cooked food I forget about the restaurant that was so tempting an hour ago. These meals aren't big productions and I like to brag about the fact that I've whittled my salad and salmon dinner down to five minutes flat, so some nights a meal needs to be tasty, easy to combine, and quickly served. My default is to serve a combination of ingredients in a handy little bowl (because who needs plates) and I tend to do this quite a bit which has prompted me to create my fictional cook book "Everything I Serve you is in a Bowl". This week I happened upon the perfect faux curry meal after dicing firm tofu into 1" cubes, tossing them with curry powder, salt and pepper, then sauteeing with canola oil (switch out with olive oil or grapeseed oil too). I then quickly cooked cous cous by pouring boiling water over a cup of the grain in a shallow bowl then covering with a lid or saran wrap for 10-15 minutes to soak. After fluffing the cooked cous cous with a fork I mixed in the toasty tofu along with halved cherry tomatoes and cooked lima beans. A final sprinkle of coarse seal salt gave the bowl a slight season and within 30 minutes our dinner was platted and served. Something about a bowl, fork, and a napkin just makes everything feel cozy, yet still healthy.

I think I'll share more of my secret bowl recipes, so stay tuned for more handy combinations in the future. Does anyone else have quick meals they prepare during the week?

8 comments:

  1. I would love more of these recipes. I am so lazy when it comes to cooking and I get intimidated by complicated recipes, but this looks great and I think I can totally try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I cook this way quite often too. I like to make quinoa and stir in toasted almonds, steamed spinach, feta cheese, kalamata olives, some flax seed, and then toss it with olive oil and lemon juice and sometimes cumin too. So healthy and balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you visually showed your steps - very unique! Cool post.

    Kristina

    Kristina does the Internets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love curry but cooking with it is a little bit intimidating for me. It is one of my 2013 goals to conquer my fear of cooking with curry. I might have to try this. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Yum! My favorite is Marc Bittman's ketchup chicken recipe over microwave brown rice. Not gourmet but comfort food good! Dinner in 10 minutes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love curry so much, but here it's really hard to find the good ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks I am following you now. I write Lifestyle also. I hope my house is in order a week for now. I was supposed to have furniture delivered to me today and the company says they won't have it in until next Friday. What a downer. My clothes are all over the place and I don't have anywhere to put them. Im afraid something else will come up and I won't have my furniture next week. I feel like telling them to give me a refund and forget it,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.