Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Goat cheese, honey, and thyme spread

A few weekends ago Paul and I headed up to Malibu for a little hike and on the way back we stopped by the local farmers market to see if we could pick up anything for the week and dinner that night. Perusing the stalls of vendors made me run through recipes in my head, but I only seemed to focus on the staples like tomatoes, lettuce, and bread. I passed by a little creamery that was scooping out samples of fresh goat cheese, one of which was a sweet lavender version that completely changed my view on savory desserts. The velvety cheese was slightly sweet with that familiar tang, perfect for a little pre-dinner nibble or a late night snack with toasty bread. While I couldn't bring myself to buy a container for the two of us, I did take the farmers market inspiration and craft my own version of a sweet goat cheese spread. My recipe combines the herbal taste of thyme with honey, which is then accented with crushed pepper and a sprinkle of salt. The end product has now become my favorite spread and will forever be my go-to recipe for an unexpected flavor combination.

Goat cheese, honey, and thyme spread

5 oz. softened goat cheese
1 tsp, fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 tblsp. honey
salt and pepper to taste (use fresh cracked pepper and sea salt)

- Combine cheese, thyme leaves, honey, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and mash together with a spoon or fork until combined and creamy.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with crackers, toasted bread, or try alone for a light dessert.

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I mean, you had me at goat cheese and honey, but thyme sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. Such a simple yet yummy looking spread. I think I need to make this aka like tonight. LOL Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I need to try this for sure! I love your blog just by looking at the header, orange and gray...what's not to love?!
    xoAmy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have developed a serious addiction to goat cheese lately...I'm SO excited you posted this!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious... a little bit of sweet, salty, and savory!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts. Make sure to check back for responses to your questions too.